BRPC Minutes Feb 2011

Minutes of the meeting held on 9th February, 2011 at the Scout HQ, Cromer Rd., Beeston Regis – commencing at 7pm.

Present: M.Knowles (Chair), R.Beckley, M.Church, Mrs.M.Roffe, Mrs.M.Wright, D.Thompson, G.Dyson, P.Kemp, H.Roper and the Clerk. Also present were B.Hannah (NCC) and one member of the public.

Before the meeting started the Chair announced the death of Mr.Starkie, a regular attender and supporter of the PC, and a minutes silence was held in his memory.

1a. To receive and consider apologies:
Apologies were received and accepted from B.Hill. Apologies were also received from Mrs.A.Sweeney (NNDC) and PCSO. G.Baxter.

1b. To receive Declarations of Interest on agenda items:
None received.

2. To approve the minutes of meetings held on 8/12/10 & 12/1/11:
These had already been circulated and were accepted as a true record (Prop: GD, Sec: MR – agreed).

3a. Resolution re Public Participation (requests to speak on specific items):
There were no requests to speak on specific agenda items.

3b. To consider co-option of new member of the Parish Council:
With only two meetings left in the 4 year term of office for parish councillors there seemed little point in considering the matter further; parish council elections will be held on 5th May.

4. Finance:
(a) To approve invoices for payment and note bank balances:
The current bank balances were as follows: – A/C 10162132, £861 and A/C 10162140, £9889. The following payments, as scheduled on the agenda, were approved :- C.Allen £70.00, P.Bullimore £329.47, West Runton Scouts £25.00, M.Knowles £20.00, Wells Caravans Ltd. £287.40 (Prop: DT, Sec: PK) Referring to the final payment which was in respect of expenses relating to the production of the questionnaire, the Clerk informed members that £437 of the £500 grant had been spent to date. This was noted.
(b) To receive verbal report on Insurance (Personal Accident Cover) (RB):
RB stated that he would report back to members when the annual insurance review was due (May/June). Noted.

5. Planning:
(a) To note decisions/information received from NNDC since last meeting:
PF/10/1302 – Entrances to Cookies Field, Cromer Road – permission given
PF/10/1306 – Extension at 14, Hillside Road – permission given
Noted.

(b) To consider planning applications received since agenda printed:
None received.
(h) To consider letter/consultation re government owned forests:
Members had received a copy of the papers but in view of the very recent news (likely government u-turn) it was decided to await further announcements before responding.
(k) To further consider Affordable Housing:
Following receipt of the PC’s letter one of the owners of site 1 had informed the Clerk verbally that there was a National Trust covenant on the land. He would be making enquiries with the NT before responding to the Parish Council.
(m) To consider PC’s responsibilities re the AONB:
These had been duly considered.
(n) To consider licences issued by NNDC/NCC in the parish (RB):
RB reported that he was still to complete the lists and B.Hannah (NCC) said he would be able to assist him with this exercise.

6. To consider Highways and Footpath Matters:
A148/Britons Lane junction: Highways had agreed to consider minor improvements following the Clerks enquiry. These consisted of new reflector posts, renewing white lines and cats-eyes. It was agreed to ask NCC Highways to carry out the work (Prop: PK, Sec: DT).
The Clerk was also instructed to ask whether a vehicle survey/count could be carried out in Britons Lane.
DT asked the Clerk to make enquiries regarding the next Highways Rangers visit.

7. Meetings & Conferences (to receive reports and announcements):
The Clerk stated that there were no new invitations and announcements.
GD reported that he was now a member of the SNAP panel (Safer Neighbourhood Action Panel) and had attended their meeting on 27/1/11. He thought it would be very useful for the parish to have a representative and found the meeting very informative.
GD said that the Sheringham Preservation Society was now more optimistic of finding new officers which would secure their future.
HR reported that he was now representing Beeston Regis on the carnival committee and gave a report in respect of a recent meeting he had attended. It was agreed that the PC would support the carnival committee when possible and would include adverts in the forthcoming parish newsletters (Prop: HR, Sec: MK).
PK announced that there was a meeting of the Upcher Community Partnership coming up on 25th February at the Oddfellows Hall (6.30 for 7pm) when people would be updated on projects etc. A copy of the recent newsletter would be circulated to members.

8. PC Assets:
(a) Report re lighting by the Clerk:
The Clerk reported on the following :-
New top on light near 89, Abbey Park – work completed on 13/1/11
Complete new column and light near 64, Priory Close – work to be carried out soon.
Noted by members.
The Clerk reported on the new solar light in Sheringham and of the scheme in Melton Constable. Costing approx. £3,500 each they would save on electricity charges but with the increase in the purchase price (£2,000) compared to the conventional lights this increase would take over 50 years to recover. Members agreed that without the assistance of grant aid considering a scheme in the parish was not economically viable.

9a. To consider maintenance of ditch east of Beeston Common:
The Chair reported what appeared to be the completion of the work by Sheringham TC. It was agreed to carry this matter forward to the next meeting.

9d. To receive update re village survey (Alternative Parish Plan):
The Chair reported that he was still working on collating all the information from the completed questionnaires.

9e. To further consider the “Good Neighbour Project”:
Having discussed this scheme many months ago and agreed it to be worth considering for the village it was agreed to place this on the Annual Parish Meeting agenda and carry forward for future discussion.

9f. To consider “Norfolk Village Games” project:
Members had received a copy of the e-mail addressed to the Chair but it was decided that this was not an appropriate scheme for Beeston Regis (demographic profile of parish not appropriate). The Clerk would inform the Rural Sports Development Officer accordingly.

9g. To receive update regarding Grass Verge Cutting:
The Clerk informed members that invitations to contractors had been sent out requesting quotations on a “cost per cut” basis. Maps had been enclosed showing the ten areas of varying sizes that needed cutting approx. 10 – 12 times per season. Hopefully members could appoint a contractor at the next meeting

9h. To receive update re Network Rails proposals regarding the level crossings:
A copy of an e-mail from Steve Day (Network Rail) to Darren Mortimer (Highways) was read to members. In summary “the Church Close Residents Association was under the mistaken impression that NR was planning to close Beeston Regis level crossing”. NR will be “discussing the safe use of the crossing with Beeston Regis Caravan Park and are hoping to come to an agreement concerning its future use, which is at present in excess of that which NR is obliged to accommodate” “This is in negotiation at present, so cannot comment further at this time”.
The Chair, who had attended the meeting on 21/1/11 which was chaired by N.Lamb MP, said that NR had stated clearly what the legal position is and wanted to limit the use of the crossing for what is necessary. NR was disturbed when people sometimes used it unprofessionally. The Caravan Park had undertaken to improve signage and allow NR to put up other signs etc. to improve safety.
RB said that the CCRA accepted the caravan parks legal right to use Church Close but questioned the extent of those rights.

10. Quality Parish Status:
(a) Review of Public Participation at meetings:
Members agreed that the present arrangement, with two areas on the agenda for this purpose, was completely adequate.

11. To receive reports from District & County Councillors:
B.Hannah (NCC) informed members that his involvement with the Norfolk Police Authority would be ending soon and reminded them of the changes being introduced regarding parking and no waiting.
A.Sweeney (NNDC) had offered her apologies to the meeting.

12. Review of Sect.17, Crime & Disorder Act (incl. Police Report)
PCSO.G.Baxter submitted a brief report via e-mail. One crime had been committed since the last meeting (damage to allotment buildings near the railway line) and he expressed concerns regarding bogus callers in the area. He also welcomed GD as a member of “SNAP”.
The Clerk informed members that the old Home Watch schemes were gradually disappearing with “Police Direct” now being more appropriate.
The SNT had a village surgery on 18/2/11 opposite the village shop (10 – 11.30am)

13. To receive Correspondence (not included in agenda items above):
The Clerk drew members attention to the following :-
Norfolks Transport Plan to 2026 – Clerk to write re of lack of response time.
Census 2011 – to take place 27/3/11
Playing Fields Association Newsletter
Request to use notice board (Ladybird Pre-School Nursery) – agreed
NNDC “Outlook” magazine
Great Poppy Party Weekend brochure (RBL’s 90th Birthday)
To be circulated

14. Resolution re Public Participation (comments/other matters)
No comments.

15. To confirm date of next meeting – future agenda items:
This was confirmed for Wednesday, 9th March, 2011.
It was again noted that the Annual Parish Meeting would be on 27th April, 2011.
MK and MR offered their apologies for 9th March.

This entry was posted in 2011, Council Matters, Minutes. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *