BRPC Minutes Jun 2009

Minutes of the meeting held on 10th June, 2009 at the Scout Headquarters, Cromer Rd
Beeston Regis (commencing 7pm)

Present: R.Beckley (Chairman), M.Knowles, D.Thompson, Mrs.M.Roffe, M.Church, Mrs.M.Wright, B.Hill, P.Kemp and the Clerk. There was also one member of the public in attendance.

1a. To receive and consider apologies:
Apologies were received and accepted from M.Bliss, G.Dyson, and D.Cox. Apologies were also received from PCSO D.Sewell, Mrs.A.Sweeney (NNDC), and B.Hannah (NCC).

1b. To receive Declarations of Interest on agenda items:
No declarations.

2. To approve the minutes of meeting held 13.5.09:
These had been circulated to members and were accepted as a true record.
(Prop: MW, Sec: DT – agreed)

3. Resolution re Public Participation (requests to speak on specific items):
(Prop: RB, Sec: MK – agreed) – meeting adjourned – no requests – meeting reopened

4. Finance:
(a) To approve invoices for payment and note bank balances:
The current bank balances were as follows :- A/C 10162132 £827 and A/C 10162140 £6864 – noted by members. The Clerk gave a brief explanation regarding the five payments scheduled and then the following were approved for payment :-
C.Allen £60.00, P.Bullimore £350.10, W.Runton Scouts £25.00, Norfolk RCC £25.00
And Allianz Insurance plc £597.16 (Prop: DT, Sec: MR – agreed). The Chair gave a summary regarding the Insurance renewal before approval of payments took place (see 4(b) regarding this)
(b) To note renewal of PC insurance:
The Chair and Vice-Chair had been asked to make a decision before renewal date after making further enquiries regarding the excess with Came & Co and also asking Allianz Insurance whether they were prepared to negotiate a lower premium than that being asked (£702). The Chair was happy to report that our current insurers (Allianz) were prepared to reduce the premium to £597 to retain the business. The excess (£125) would remain the same and this would be a one year contract as usual.
Members were happy with this and duly approved the payment (see 4a).
(d) To approve the Accounts & Governance Statement as at 31.3.09 (as circulated):
The Clerk informed members that the accounts and governance statement, produced as per the Audit and Accounts Regulations 1998, 2003 and 2006 , had to be approved by the parish council by 30.6.09. Members had been given their financial statement packs prior to the meeting. The Clerk referred to page 2 (Income & Expenditure Statement) pointing out that the PC spent approx. £1500 more than in 2008. This was the figure by which the precept was increased for 2009. He also referred to page 3 (Balance Sheet as at 31.3.09) stating that the balance at the year end was approx. £3800. After the Clerk answered questions the statements were duly approved by the PC and the Chair signed sections 1 and 2 of the annual audit return.
(Prop: MW: Sec: MR – agreed). The Chair thanked the Clerk for his work in producing the financial statements.
(e) Review of PCs Financial Regulations and Standing Orders:
The Clerk requested members permission to leave this matter to a future meeting when he would produce new/revised sets of FRs and SOs following his CiLCA studies. This was agreed and the matter will appear on a future agenda

5. Planning:
(a) To note decisions received from NNDC since last meeting:
The Clerk drew members attention to the following :-
20090203 – 2 semi-detached dwellings at Lawsons Way, Sheringham – This was referred to the Development Control Committee – Noted by members.
(b) To consider planning applications received since agenda printed:
None received.
(e) Sheringwood – To receive update and consider tree preservation:
The Woodland Trust had informed the Clerk that they hoped to arrange a meeting in the next two or three weeks – this was noted.
(h) LDF – Gypsy EERA consultation, SMP & consultation on reuse of rural bldgs:
The Chair first spoke of the Site Specific Proposals consultation which was out at the moment. He referred to the residential site on land off Holway Road and Morley Hill, and the retail site at Central Garage (both in Sheringham). After discussion it was agreed not to respond as a council but leave this to individuals if they so wished.
The Chair apologised to members for not getting a reply in regarding permanent gypsy sites (EERA) although he pointed out that it would be repeating the views of NNDC.
The Chair referring to the questionnaire on the Reuse of Rural Buildings, worked his way through the document with members and asked the Clerk to submit to NNDC.
(i) To consider proposals for development of Hall Farm:
An exhibition, arranged by the owners Blue Sky Leisure, took place on 22/5/09 at Beeston Hall School. The PC had received a letter from Bidwells, their agents, inviting comments prior to a formal planning application being submitted. The Clerk informed members that Bidwells had a target date of 20/6/09 for the submission of the actual planning application. After discussion it was agreed to wait for the planning application before commenting and perhaps invite a representative from the owners and/or agents to a parish council meeting.

6. To consider Highways and Footpath Matters:
The Clerk reported on the following :-
Path nr. council houses adj. to junction with Britons Lane Cl – Highways to look at.
Walkabout with H.Ways Engineer – arranged for 12/6/09 (11am) (MK,MW,DT)
NNDC letter received re verge cutting – 10 cuts in the season (5, NCC & 5, NNDC).
Bus stop sign nr.Church Close – NCC investigating why it has been moved.
The following were considered :-
S.A.M (speed awareness message) – Clerk to try and arrange another speed check.
MW reported lorries, incl articulated, using Britons Lane – to discuss on 12/6/09.
Fence on Britons Lane – not considered dangerous – to discuss on 12/6/09
Weeds in parish again getting bad (need treating) – to discuss on 12/6/09
Sign nr. Scout HQ marking West Runton in wrong place – to discuss on 12/6/09
As well as discussing with the Highways Engineer on 12/6/09 the Clerk was instructed to write to Anglia Mower Services regarding lorries using Britons Lane, enquiring as to whether companies delivering to their premises received instructions and directions.

7. Meetings & Conferences (to receive reports and announcements):
The Clerk reminded members of the forthcoming Area Forum organised by NNDC for parish and town councils to be held at the Scout HQ on 1/7/09 (6.30 – 9.00pm).
The Following invitations had been received since the last meeting :-
Scout Group Evening & AGM – Fri.12/6/09 – 6 til 9pm – MW to attend.
Nalc – Meal with Speaker – Mon. 20/7/09 – 6 for 7pm (Swaffham) – noted.
Nalc – Norfolk Planning Conference – Thurs 18/6/09 (all day) noted.
Norfolk & Norwich Hospital Open Day – Sat 27/6 (10 – 4pm) MR to attend.
The Chair reported on another Sheringham Preservation Soc. Meeting and would arrange for the minutes to be circulated.

8. PC Assets:
(a) Street Lighting – to consider renewal of electricity & maintenance contracts:
Electricity: The Clerk informed members that only one quotation had been received and that was from the current suppliers. Out of six tender letters sent out the only other reply was from British Gas who had acknowledged the letter but had not quoted by the deadline of 10/6/09. The quotation received from E-on was for a 12 month contract at a price of 9.582p per kwh or for a 24 month contract at 10.683p per kwh. Members wanted a 24 month period but were not happy with the higher price as the increases were 31 percent for the 12 month contract and 46 percent for the 24 month contract. It also had to be remembered that consumption would increase with the new inventory being submitted and the new Unmetered Supply Certificate being issued. The Clerk was instructed to try and get the 24 month contract for the 12 month price or something very similar (Prop: RB, Sec: MR – agreed). Members were reminded that with the increased prices and the increased consumption electricity costs would rise by approx. £60 – £70 per month.
Maintenance of Street Lights:
The Clerk informed members that four quotations had been received and a summary of the prices quoted by these companies was handed to members. The current contractors (T.T.Jones Electrical) price was the lowest by a considerable margin and was for a period of four years (1/7/09 – 30/6/2013). Members had been satisfied with the work of T.T.Jones Electrical and were happy to accept their quotation and contract for the next four years. It was agreed to appoint T.T.Jones Electrical at a contract cost of £671.00 per annum plus VAT (£55.92 per month plus VAT) for a four year period (Prop:MW, Sec: PK – agreed) The Chair would sign the new contract and the Clerk would write informing them of the PCs acceptance. The Clerk would also write a letter of thanks to the other three contractors who had submitted a quotation informing them of the decision.

9a. To consider ongoing maintenance of Beeston Common:
As last month the PC was still waiting for news of the meeting with Natural England.

9b. To consider pillbox in Britons Lane:
Still no news from English Heritage in Cambridge.
9f. To further consider phone box in Britons Lane:
The Clerk was pleased to inform members that he had at last received a reply from BT. In summary they would repair the equipment a.s.a.p.

10. Quality Parish Status:
(a) To receive update on QPS:
No further news since last update.
(b) To consider the groups/subjects re members areas of interest/responsibility:
The Clerk informed members that this was to update the exercise last carried out in 2007. The list of members and subject matters was out of date and needed looking at. Members agreed to take the list away and return to the Clerk with their thoughts and amendments prior to the next meeting when it could be updated.
(e) No Cold Calling Zones- update & consider permission to use columns Priory Cl:
RB informed the meeting of further vandalism to the new Church Close sign. Following a written request from Trading Standards permission was given to use the Priory Close light columns for signage purposes (Prop: RB, Sec: DT – agreed). The Clerk would write to them accordingly.
(f) To consider June 09 Newsletter:
MK informed members that he had received items from MR and combined with the Annual Report and Accounts hoped this would fill the June edition. There was still some space left and MK asked PK if he would write a small article on the Upcher Community Partnership. MK said that the 30th June deadline would be met.

11. To receive reports from District & County Councillors:
Apologies had been received from both councillors.

12. To consider Sect. 17, Crime & Disorder Act (incl. Police Report):
Apologies had been received from the police.

13. To receive Correspondence (not included in agenda items above):
The Clerk drew members attention to the following :-
NNDC Refuse/Recycling booklet, NNDC Programme of meetings, Police Update (Spring 09), NNDC letter re street naming, Letter advertising the Forum, Norwich, NNDC Agenda/Minutes, Scout Newsletter, and NNDC Outlook.
All the above would be circulated to members as usual.

14. Resolution re Public Participation (comments/other matters):
Prop: BH, Sec: DT – agreed – meeting adjourned – comment re path – re-opened.

15. To consider date of next meeting – future agenda items:
Next meeting, Wednesday, 8th July (7pm).

This entry was posted in 2009, Council Matters, Minutes. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *