BRPC Minutes May 2010

Minutes of the Annual Parish Council Meeting held on 12th May, 2010 at the Scout Headquarters, Cromer Road, Beeston Regis, commencing at 7pm.

Present: R.Beckley (Chair), Mrs.M.Roffe, D.Thompson, Mrs.M.Wright, G.Dyson, P.Kemp and the Clerk.

1a. Election of Chairman & Declaration of Acceptance of Office:
The Clerk reminded members re standing orders on appointments (S.O. 15) and the Chair confirmed to members that he wished to step down as he had indicated at the annual parish meeting. It was proposed by MW and seconded by PK that Mike Knowles be elected Chairman for the coming year. MK had already indicated his willingness to stand to RB and the Clerk. This was agreed unaminously and the Clerk would arrange for Mike Knowles to sign his Declaration of Acceptance of Office as soon as possible. The Clerk would notify NALC and NNDC accordingly and RB remained in the Chair.

1b. Election of Vice-Chair & Declaration of Acceptance of Office:
RB indicated that he would like to assist MK in his new role as Chairman and it was proposed by MR and seconded by DT that R.Beckley be elected Vice-Chairman for the coming year. This was agreed unaminously and RB duly signed his Declaration of Acceptance of Office which was witnessed by the Clerk. RB remained in the Chair for the meeting.

1c. To receive and consider apologies:
Apologies were received and accepted from M.Knowles and B.Hill. Apologies were also received from B.Hannah (NCC) and Mrs.A Sweeney (NNDC). The Chair informed members that M.Bliss had tendered his resignation from the council and the Clerk had notified NNDC accordingly with the statutory vacancy statement now placed on the notice board. The Chair recorded his thanks for all the work carried out by M.Bliss in the past and read from his resignation letter which indicated his willingness to help the parish council whenever possible and suggested possible questions in regard to the parish survey.

1d. To receive Declarations of Interest on agenda items:
None declared.

2. To approve the minutes of meeting held 14/4/10:
These had been circulated to members and were accepted as a true record. (Prop: DT, Sec: GD – agreed).

2a. To consider co-option of new member for parish council:
With the resignation of Mike Bliss there was a possibility of the PC having to co-opt two people for the council. The Clerk informed members that two people, interested in serving on the council, had now submitted their CVs. This was probably as a result of the distribution of the recent newsletter which contained the vacancy advert. The CVs would be circulated to members and must remain confidential. The Chair was hopeful that NNDC would give the PC clearance to co-opt for the second vacancy in time for the June 9th meeting when he hoped that both vacancies might be filled. This was noted by members.

3. Resolution re Public Participation (requests to speak on specific items)
No members of the public were present.

4. Finance:
(a) To approve invoices for payment and note bank balances:
The Clerk informed members that the first half years precept money had been received in respect of 2010-11. The current bank balances were as follows :-
A/C 10162132 £106, A/C 10162140 £13,017 – this was noted by members. The Clerk gave explanations regarding the four payments scheduled for payment after which the following were approved :- C.Allen £70.00, P.Bullimore £360.50, West Runton Scouts £50.00, and M.Wright £8.36 (Prop: DT, Sec: PK, – agreed). The Clerk was requested to speak with C.Allen regarding glass clearance near the bottle bank.
(b) To consider Insurance Review & Annual Premium (£637.95):
The Chair reported on his annual review which would be circulated to members. He reminded members of the declarations that they needed to make and pass to the Clerk before renewal on 1/6/10. He recommended that in Section A (Property) that the old Hansol Computer is deleted and the words Desk Top Computer inserted as well as adding the second notice board which appeared to be missing from the schedule. Under Section F (Personal Accident) he recommended that the members age limit be raised to 85 years. Members agreed with the recommendations and agreed to pay the renewal premium which the Chair stated was still good value (Prop: DT, Sec: PK).
(c) To confirm Bank Mandates for 2010-11:
The following were approved for the financial year 2010-11 :-
E-on £179.48 (Direct Debit) Monthly – supply of electricity.
T.T.Jones Electrical £64.31 (Standing Order) Monthly – street light maintenance.
(Prop: MR, Sec: DT – agreed).
(d) To consider Donation to the Citizens Advice Bureau:
The Clerk brought this matter to members attention following the recent annual parish meeting when parishioners supported the idea of a donation to the CAB who were responsible for the part-time sessions in Sheringham at the Jesu premises. After discussion it was agreed to donate the sum of £50.00 (Prop: DT, Sec: PK – agreed)

5. Planning:
(a) To note decisions received from NNDC since last meeting:
PF/10/0219 – Extension at Meadowside, Church Close – Permission given
PF/10/0255 – Extension at Radway, Church Close – Permission given
The above were noted by members and the Clerk would circulate the detailed letters.
(b) To consider planning applications received since agenda printed:
None received.
(h) LDF – incl. Travellers Sites and SMP:
A letter had been received from AECOM regarding the formal consultation on the Shoreline Management Plan. There will be drop in sessions, surgeries, and much information available with the consultation running until 19/7/10. The letter would be circulated to members. The Chair did not have anything to report regarding the LDF and Travellers Sites. DT asked for a newspaper article to be circulated regarding Travellers Sites and wondered if NNDC would write to the new government on this matter.
(k) To further consider Affordable Housing in the parish:
The Clerk had still not heard from the NNDC Housing Enabling Officer regarding possible sites in the parish. However following a recent phone call in which he reminded NNDC that it was six months since the meeting with the Chair and Vice-Chair the Clerk said that they would try and have some news for members for the June meeting. The Chair was concerned that there still does not appear to be the will or desire at NNDC to build affordable homes in spite of the terrible statistics recently released regarding their record. MW referred to a recent newspaper article in which a very high percentage was quoted regarding the affordable element required in new developments. This would not encourage developers who were already struggling she said.

6. To consider Highways and Footpath Matters (incl. grit bins):
The Clerk reported on the following :-
Van parked near Priory Close entrance – reported to police – now moved.
Path subsidence near 48, Abbey Pk – Highways to reconstruct footpath.
Fingerpost sign to Priory – permission to use PC lamp (Prop: DT, Sec; RB, agreed)
Walkabout with Karl Rands (NCC Highways) (PB,RB, MK) – report on meeting.
Letter from NCC re Bus Stop improvements – letter to be circulated to members.
Long stay car in Britons Lane car park – Highways said it was a police matter.
Grit Bins (Regis Ave., & Abbey Pk) – GD/PK to look at Regis Ave site (Clerk, other)
MR reported on Dogs fouling the footpath in Britons Lane from the Priory Close entrance down to the main A!49 coast road. The Clerk was instructed to contact the NNDC Dog Wardens. RB reported on a dangerous electricity installation on the footpath behind the railway bridge. The Clerk was instructed to contact EDF Energy.
It was agreed that RB drafts an e-mail for the Clerk to send to PCSO Gary Baxter, enclosing his recent photographs, asking further regarding the long stay car in the Britons Lane car park.

7. Meetings & Conferences (to receive reports and announcements):
Invitations had been received in respect of the following :-
NALC – Seminar titled Open for Business (Rural Enterprise) 24/6/10, Cromer
NALC – Seminar re Allotments 28/6/10 – Sprowston Parish Council premises.
NALC – Training for Councillors 1/7/10 at Southrepps – c/fwd June meeting
Reports :-
MW stated that she would be attending a meeting on 14/5 re the Hooke Charity.
RB reported that he had attended Civic Services in Cromer and Sheringham.
PK/RB had attended the Upcher Community P/Ship meeting for members on 11/5/10.
PK reported the following :- NWACTA, Community Bus Network expanding to this area, update on the Community Funding from the Community Chest, Arts & literary Festival, Crab & Lobster Festival, Experience Sheringham leaflet, Guided and Escorted Walks in the Sheringham area, Upcher Community Bank, update on the Arts and Sculpture Trail, and a consultation on the West Prom railings.

8. PC Assets:
(a) To note decision at Annual Parish Meeting re Part-Night Lighting:
The council agreed and accepted the parishioners views (Prop:DT, Sec: RB) in that the parish lighting should remain as it is (lights on from dusk til dawn).

9a. To consider maintenance of ditch east of Beeston Common:
There was no further news from the NNDC Drainage Officer.

9d. To consider future plans for the parish (incl. survey):
The Clerk informed members that a Working Group had now been established to forward the parish survey. Their first meeting would be on 26/5/10 at the Scout HQ commencing at 7pm. All parties had been informed and the relevant papers todate would be made available by the Clerk. It would be up to the working group to decide on how to proceed with this project but the council hoped that the questionnaire would be available to go out with the autumn newsletter. The grant of £500 was available to meet all costs. The Working Group would be Councillors Paul Kemp and Geoff Dyson, Anthony Baker representing the Church, Stewart Forton and pupil representing the High School, and parishioners Mrs.M.Long and Mrs.M.Kemp.

9f. To consider car parking during Sunday Car Boot Sales:
B.Hannah (NCC) had asked the Clerk to report verbally that meetings were still ongoing and that NCC Highways (Darren Mortimer) was now involved. This was noted by members.

9g. To consider Norfolk RCCs Good Neighbour Project:
This subject was aired at the annual parish meeting and got a positive reception. Members would await the Norfolk RCCs representative who was attending the July parish council meeting.

10. Quality Parish Status:
(b) To consider Qtly. Newsletter (June 2010):
The contents of the next newsletter were already established with the Annual Report and the Accounts to 31/3/10 occupying considerable space in this edition.
(f) To consider Asset Inspection & receive report:
DT reported that he was fairly happy with the condition of the PCs assets. The Chair confirmed with him the asset values and thanked him for his report.

11. To receive reports from District & County Councillors:
Apologies had been received from both councillors. Note BHs comments at 9(f).

12. To consider Sect.17, Crime & Disorder Act (incl. Police Report):
In the absence of the PCSO the Chair moved on.

13. To receive Correspondence (not included in agenda items above):
The following had been received :- NNDC Agenda/Minutes (note Tesco debate & decision) and Police Authority letter re Custody Visiting Scheme. These would be circulated as usual.

14. Resolution re Public Participation (comments/other matters):
Not required as no members of the public were in attendance.

15. To confirm date of next meeting – future agenda items :
This was confirmed for Wed. 9th June, 2010 (7pm). The Clerk asked members to note that the approval of the Accounts/Financial Statements would be on the agenda. The Chair requested that responsibilities for AONB be put under Planning in future.

 

 

This entry was posted in 2010, Council Matters, Minutes. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *