BRPC Minutes Nov 2009

Minutes of the meeting held on 4th November, 2009 at the Scout Headquarters, Cromer Road, Beeston Regis, commencing at 7pm.
Present: R.Beckley (Chairman), M.Knowles, D.Thompson, Mrs.M.Roffe, M.Church, B.Hill, G.Dyson, Mrs.M.Wright and the Clerk. Also present were B.Hannah (NCC), Mrs.A.Sweeney (NNDC), Mrs.J.Farrow (Upcher Community Partnership) and one member of the public.

1a. To receive and consider apologies:
Apologies were received and accepted from D.Cox, M.Bliss, and P.Kemp. Apologies were also received from the police (PCSO. D.Sewell).

1b. To receive Declarations of Interest on agenda items:
MW declared a personal interest in item 5(e), and the Chair declared a personal interest in item 5(i).

2. To approve the minutes of meeting held 14/10/09:
These had been circulated to members and were accepted as a true record (Prop: DT, Sec: MW – agreed)

3. Resolution re Public Participation (requests to speak on specific items):
(Prop: RB, Sec: MK, – agreed). The meeting was adjourned but there was no requests to speak on specific items – meeting re-opened.

At the Chairs suggestion it was agreed to take item 9(d) next and adjourn the meeting to allow Mrs.Farrow (Upcher C/P) to speak and take questions from the floor regarding the partnership.

9d. To receive presentation & discuss the Upcher Community Partnership:
Mrs.Farrow issued leaflets and papers on the topics she would be speaking about. She stated that the Upcher C/P was funded by the North Norfolk Community Partnership which in turn received its funds from NNDC., and gave details of the board membership. JF gave an update on the partnerships progress and spoke of ways where people and organisations could help. The Upcher C/P Credit Union had recently started and she summarised what this organisations aims were.(they targeted small borrowers who could then hopefully avoid loan sharks who charged extremely high interest). The Chair stated that the credit union looked a useful tool for local people. Whilst members had been kept informed of the partnerships progress by P.Kemp they were unaware of a membership fee (£5) which organisations such as parish councils could pay. The Clerk was asked to schedule this for payment on next months agenda. The Chair thanked JF for attending and hoped that the partnership would continue to expand and be successful. JF reminded members of the very accessible office next to the town clock if they wanted to pop in.
B.Hannah and Mrs.Sweeney joined the meeting during this item.

The Chair re-opened the meeting and returned to the agenda at item 4(a).

4. Finance:
(a) To approve invoices for payment and note bank balances:
The current bank balances were as follows :- A/C 10162132 £1471 and A/C 10162140 £10015 – this was noted by members. The Clerk went through and gave explanations of the seven payments scheduled for payment after which the following were approved :- C.Allen £60.00, P.Bullimore £372.07, W.Runton Scouts £25.00, Royal British Legion £25.00, B.Hill £10.00, T.T.Jones Electrical Ltd. £126.96, and NALC £57.50. (Prop: MR, Sec: DT – agreed).
(b) To consider Budget and Precept 2010-11:
All budget papers had been circulated to members and it was agreed to accept the Clerks working papers as a basis for discussion (Prop: DT, Sec: MR, – agreed). The Clerk asked members to note a considerably higher predicted end of year balance compared to the previous year. The Chair summarised the position, stating that he agreed with the Clerks estimates, and asked members to consider a standstill budget for next year or even a small reduction on the precept. The provision for increased lighting expenditure had not been required so far this year and a healthier end of year balance looked likely he said. Although money would have to be spent on the lights (new top lanterns) as had been predicted by T.T.Jones Electrical there was now balances that would be able to cope with this increase in lighting maintenance. In view of these facts the Chair asked members to consider a reduction in the precept of approx. 3% – 4% for 2010-11. MK said he was not opposed to this suggestion but said that the council must be aware of increased expenditure on lighting maintenance in the future. Members did not want to see any increase in the precept and were basically in agreement with a small reduction. It was agreed the Clerk earmarks money and makes provision in the budget for grass cutting, casual election, and further lighting maintenance instead of a general heading for reserves. Following further discussion it was agreed to reduce the precept by approx. 4% and instruct the District Council to collect £13,000. (Prop: MR, Sec: DT – agreed unaminously). The Chair, MK, DT, and the Clerk duly signed the NNDC. Precept form in the sum of £13,000.

5. Planning:
(a) To note decisions received from NNDC since last meeting:
The Clerk asked members to note the following :-
20090937 – Extn at 3, Priory Close – permission given.
20090848 – Garden Room at Two Pines, Sheringwood – permission given.
20090849 – Development at Beeston Hall Farm – permission given.
Members were also asked to note the many conditions attached to the permission for Beeston Hall Farm when papers were circulated to them.
(b) To consider planning applications received since agenda printed:
None received.
(e) 20091022 – To consider planning application re Dwelling at Heath Barn:
Papers had been circulated to members. The Chair reminded members that a stop notice had been issued on the present building work adjacent to Heath Barn because the work todate was not as per the plans approved by NNDC. The Chair stated that he was concerned with the impact on the landscape as it appeared to him that the dwelling would end up as a two storey house similar to that refused by the parish and district councils in 2003. The plans described the first level as a cellar but when looking at the building work todate this was a ground floor. DT pointed out that the plans appeared to have windows at cellar level and after discussion members were concerned that this was another house rather than a single storey dwelling/bungalow that had been approved originally. It was agreed that the parish council objected strongly to this application because of the impact on the landscape. Members also wished this to be referred to committee and expressed concerns that it was a retrospective application and looked similar to that of 2003 which was refused. (Prop: DT, Sec: GD, agreed).
(h) LDF – incl. Gypsy EERA consultation and SMP:
The Chair reported on his attendance at the NALC Gypsy & Traveller Conference earlier in the day and expressed concerns again that NNDC appears to have done nothing towards permanent sites that had been imposed on all districts in Eastern England. He had prepared a written report on the conference, including the latest protocol, which he asked the Clerk to circulate to members.
(i) To discuss new Railway Communication Mast adjacent to bridge:
The Chair informed members that Church Close residents had been given copies of the plans/information. No planning permission was required as it came under permitted development rights. Members decided that they had no objections and did not wish to respond to Network Rail.
(j) To consider EERA consultation on East of England Plan to 2031:
This had been circulated . Members agreed no response.
(k) To further consider Affordable Housing in the parish:
A copy of NNDCs reply to N.Lamb MP had been received and would be circulated to members. It concluded that a meeting between NNDC Housing Dept. and the parish council might help to progress this matter. This meeting had been arranged for 5/11/09 and the Chair and Vice-Chair would report back to members at the next PC meeting.
(l) To consider NNDC.Consultation on re-use of Rural Buildings:
Papers had been circulated to members who agreed that they did not wish to respond.

6. To consider Highways and Footpath Matters:
MW agreed to monitor the section of Britons Lane adjacent to her house in respect of the reflector posts that NCC Highways said they would replace. The Clerk reported receipt of copy e-mails which were sent by B.Hannah (NCC) regarding an abandoned car in the Britons Lane car park. BH reported that he was still trying to sort out this problem with the Housing Assoc and NNDC. The Chair stated that he would send the relevant information to BH regarding the insurance of cars in public places such as this.

7. Meetings & Conferences (to receive reports and announcements):
The Clerk brought the following to members attention :-
11/11/09 – Parish & Town Council Conference – Cromer Parish Hall (RB, MR, DT, GD, MW, and the Clerk to attend)
23/11/09 – NALC. – Planning Information evening – Southrepps (RB to attend).
12/11/09 – NALC – Afternoon Coffee & Chat – Roughton – (MK to try and attend).
Reports were received on the following :-
Gypsy & Traveller Conference – 4/11/09 – Report by Chair given at 5(h)
Meeting re future of Cromer Hospital – 15/10/09 – DT reported that this lengthy meeting had people turned away from its doors. David Prior gave assurances that the new hospital will be built although there was no money available for Endoscopy and Physiotherapy services to be included at the new unit. The meeting disagreed with this and the audience appeared angry and pessimistic with the situation and with other negative statements such as there was no health service monies for the new hospital. The Chair thanked DT for his report.

8. PC Assets: to consider reports:
The Clerk had received a quotation for reducing the brightness of a light adjacent to 18, Priory Close. This had been sent by T.T.Jones Electrical as a response for a parishioner who lived at this address. Members had not acted on a previous request when reviewing the lighting inventory in recent months. Members agreed that DT should look again at the situation and report back to the next meeting.

9a. To consider ongoing maintenance of Beeston Common:
The Clerk, having been instructed at last months meeting to make enquiries regarding the ditch/western parish boundary, had been speaking to the Lead Drainage Officer at NNDC. Whilst parishioners living near or adjacent to this were clearly riparian landowners with responsibilities to the centre of the ditch/watercourse the Clerk had been advised that the PC should not write to these people until NNDC had investigated the matter further. This was noted by members who agreed to wait for clarification before taking action.

9b. To consider Pillbox in Britons Lane:
No further news from English Heritage regarding the listing application.

9d. (Upcher Community P/Ship) – see page 1 following opening of meeting:

9f. To consider car parking during Sunday Car Boot Sales:
The Chair said he wished to keep the dialogue open and would speak again with the proprietor of the car boot sales to see if a second exit could be established for the site.

10. Quality Parish Status:
(a) To receive update on QPS:
The file/portfolio regarding the application for QPS had been submitted to NALC. A fee in the sum of £50 plus VAT (for Accreditation Panel) would now follow (see 4a).
The Clerk was now completing CiLCA to go with this file.
(b) To consider Qtly.Newsletter for Dec.09:
Members discussed the next edition and it was suggested that the reduction in the budget/precept for 2010-11 would make a good front page story. Members were asked to write articles for the next and future publications.

11. To receive reports from District & County Councillors:
Mrs.Sweeney (NNDC) spoke of discussions regarding the District Councils budget which was on course and hopefully there would be no staff redundancies. There had also been more talks regarding the flood sirens situation. B.Hannah (NCC) brought the Sheringham Patient Participation Group to members attention and said that people should not be afraid to complain or discuss matters. Speaking about Norfolk Police he said he was sad that the Chief Constable was leaving. He reminded the council about his Saturday morning surgery at the Little Theatre Hub each month and also informed members that the NNDC Scrutiny Committee was setting up a Crime Disorder Panel.
The Chair thanked AS and BH for their reports and input.

12. To consider Sect.17, Crime & Disorder Act (incl.Police Report):
PCSO. D.Sewell had apologised but had sent copies of his latest crime report which was distributed to members. There being no other matters the Chair moved on.

13. To receive Correspondence (not included in agenda items above):
The following had been received :-
Sheringham Shoal Offshore Wind Farm (3rd Newsletter)
E-mail from parishioner regarding planning application at Two Pines, Sheringwood.
NNDC – letter informing PC that the Planning Computer System was being replaced.
NNDC – Agenda for 4/11/09 and minutes.
All the above would be circulated as usual.

14. Resolution re Public Participation (comments/other matters):
Prop: BH, Sec: DT, – agreed – meeting adjourned – no comments – meeting reopened

15. To confirm date of next meeting – future agenda items:
This was confirmed for Wed. 9/12/09 (7pm).

This entry was posted in 2009, Council Matters, Minutes. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *