BRPC Minutes Oct 2009

Full Minutes of the most recent Parish Council Meetings will appear here.
Minutes of the meeting held on 14th October, 2009 at the Scout Headquarters, Cromer Road, Beeston Regis commencing at 7pm.

Present: R.Beckley (Chairman), M.Knowles, D.Thompson, Mrs.M.Wright, M.Church, G.Dyson, P.Kemp, B.Hill and the Clerk. Also present were 5 members of the public and speakers/representatives regarding the planning application at 5(i). These were G.Davies (Bidwells – Agents), A.Waters and Ms.E.Barnston (Architects).

1a. To receive and consider apologies:
Apologies were received and accepted from D.Cox, M.Bliss and Mrs.M.Roffe.
Apologies were also received from B.Hannah (NCC), Mrs.A.Sweeney (NNDC) and PCSO. D.Sewell.

1b. To receive Declarations of Interest on agenda items:
None received. The Chair reminded members that they could still make a declaration prior to an agenda item.

2. To approve the minutes of meeting held 2.9.09:
These had been circulated to members and were accepted as a true record. (Prop: DT, Sec: GD – agreed)

3. Resolution re Public Participation (requests to speak on specific items):
(Prop: RB, Sec: MK, – agreed). The meeting was adjourned and members of the public requested to speak on item 5(i). The meeting was re-opened.

At the Chairs suggestion it was agreed to take item 5(i) next and adjourn the meeting thereby allowing the visiting representatives to speak on the application and letting members and the public put questions to them. (Prop: MK, Sec: PK, – agreed). The meeting was adjourned and a general discussion and question time ensued.

5(i) 20090849 – To consider application for development at Hall Farm:
The Clerk informed members that an amended proposal had been received very recently involving a reduction in the roof lights and a small increase in car parking spaces otherwise the application that had been circulated to them all was unchanged. Much publicity had been given to this application with a public exhibition, an article in the recent edition of the councils newsletter, a notice placed on the notice-board informing the parishioners that the matter was being discussed at tonights meeting as well as the usual posters/agendas placed around the parish. The Chair said that this was one of the largest planning applications that was likely to be considered by this council and he invited Glyn Davies of Bidwells to give a brief talk regarding the whole project. GD informed the meeting that they had favourable feedback from parishioners and they had worked closely with the NNDC planners following Blue Sky Leisures purchase of the site. They had liaised closely with the National Trust who had requested that no further development took place on fields outside the envelope known as the Beeston Hall Farm site. Everything that was now being considered by the parish council had been agreed in detail with the National Trust. GD introduced Ms.Emily Barnston from the architects Fielden & Mawson who was assisted by Adrian Waters. EB stated that the character of the area and the buildings would remain similar to those already existing and the approaches to the site and views from distance would be maintained. This was required by both the National Trust and NNDC. Connections with the Horse and Craft industries were also being retained and parking outside the envelope would not be allowed. Materials to be used would be sympathetic and again similar to existing structures and all efforts would be made to keep the character and charm of Beeston Hall Farm. EB also confirmed the two amendments to the application mentioned by the Clerk. Thanking the applicants representatives the Chair invited questions from the floor. GD gave answers regarding the future of the two dwellings and also stated that there was no intention to resurrect old plans regarding the café. Responding to questions about the entrance and access he said that highways consultants have been used and junctions would be re-aligned in accordance with NCC instructions. The Chair asked about possible signage regarding traffic from Calves Well Lane and a positive response was given as it was when asked about the problems with cars being mis-directed using sat-navs. GD was also asked about peoples rights on Beeston Hall Common and he said that they were currently looking at this situation and EB stated that all the land under their clients ownership would be subject to a ten year management plan. The Chair stated that the common should at sometime be open to the public and MK (Vice-Chair) asked if the parish council could have a copy of the management plan when it was finalised. The Chair was concerned with the stables being situated near the school boundary but GD gave assurances that the school had no objections regarding this. Chris Beckett, representing Runton PC, also expressed concerns regarding horse safety and stabling. MW asked about the future of the track and the meeting was informed that it would stay as rural as possible – there was no intention to have new surfaces which would spoil the character of the site. The meeting was informed that the project may be completed by the end of 2010. The Chair thanked the applicants agent and the architects for attending and brought the open discussion to a close stating that the council would make a decision on this planning application when it returned to this matter later in the meeting. At this point Glyn Davies (Bidwells), Emily Barnston and Adrian Waters (Fielden & Mawson) left the meeting. Two members of the public also left.
The Chair re-opened the meeting and returned to the agenda at item 4(a).

4. Finance:
The Clerk asked members to note that the External Audit certificate had been received. There was no points to bring to members attention. The statutory notice had been displayed on the notice board along with copies of the Annual Return. The second half-years precept money had been received (2009/10 – £6750).
(a) To approve invoices for payment and note bank balances:
The current bank balances were as follows :- A/C 10162132 £302 and A/C 10162140 £12,015 – this was noted by members. The Clerk gave an explanation of the six payments scheduled for payment after which the following were approved :- C.Allen £60.00, P.Bullimore £352.01, West Runton Scouts £25.00, M.Roffe £29.97, Mazars £155.25, and Sheringham Town Council £46.00 (Prop: MW, Sec: DT – agreed).
(b) Preliminary discussion re Precept 2010-11 (decision at Nov.meeting):
The Clerk informed members that they needed to be considering the budget for the year 2010-11. He thought, based on the first six months expenditure of the current year, that the council was on course for an underspend, although lighting expenditure could easily change this. He reminded members that the official notice to NNDC regarding the precept had to be returned by 20/11/09. The Chair said he was happy that the projected year end balance looked a bit more healthy than in previous years and the possibility of considering no increase in the precept for next year was a possibility. The Clerk would arrange for full details, working papers, and a draft budget for 2010-11 to be delivered to members before the next meeting.
(d) To consider Qtly. Budget Statement to 30/9/09:
The statement had been circulated to members prior to the meeting. The Clerk went through the statement with members noting any significant variances under any expenditure heads which were duly explained in the Notes column. The Clerk reiterated his view that the council might have savings on the budgeted figure at 31/3/2010. Members noted and agreed the qtly. statement
(e) Review of Clerks Salary & Contract:
The Clerk informed members that NALC had announced the rates of pay for clerks for the year commencing April 2009. In his case the rate per hour had increased by approx. 10p therefore making it a monthly increase of approx. £3. The new rate per hour was £9.941 (part-time clerk on SCP21). This was noted and approved by members. It was agreed the Chairman does his usual contract review and bring the matter back to the council if there was any matter to raise.

5. Planning:
(a) To note decisions received from NNDC since last meeting:
The Clerk had been informed that a temporary stop notice had been placed on the building work taking place at Heath Barn, Britons Lane by NNDC Planning Enforcement Section. This was noted by members.
(b) To consider planning applications received since agenda printed:
An amended application regarding the development at Beeston Hall Farm (20090849) had been received but had already been dealt with under item 5(i).
(e) 20090848 – Erection of Garden Room at The Two Pines, Sheringwood:
The application had already been circulated to members. After discussion it was agreed that there was no objections. (Prop: DT, Sec: PK – agreed).
(h) LDF – incl.Gypsy EERA Consultation and Shoreline Management Plan:
The Clerk informed members that NNDC were now conducting a consultation on the re-use of rural buildings (Specific item under the Core Strategy). Documents would be circulated to members in the near future and a response, if any, needed to be made at the November meeting. This was noted by members.
(i) 20090849 – To consider application for development at Hall Farm:
Returning to this item the Chair stated that the National Trust would have looked at all aspects of this application in detail, and, although he was disappointed that it did not appear to be going to the NNDC Development Control Committee for discussion, he felt that parishioners and members supported the scheme. He asked members if they had any more points to raise before putting this to the vote. There was no further discussion and it was agreed that the parish council supports the application subject to the applicant recognising the public rights on Beeston Hall Common. (Prop: RB, Sec: DT, and agreed). The Clerk would inform NNDC accordingly.
(j) 20090937 – To consider application re extn. at 3, Priory Close:
The application had already been circulated to members. It was agreed to close the meeting (Prop: RB, Sec: MK) in order that the applicant could speak. The meeting was re-opened and after discussion it was agreed that the council had no objections to this application (Prop: DT, Sec: PK).
(k) To further consider Affordable Housing in the parish:
Following the Chairs discussion with Norman Lamb MP at the latters recent surgery visit a copy of the letter sent by our MP to the Chief Exec. of NNDC had been received. This would be circulated to members and a copy of NNDCs response to N.Lamb MP was awaited. The matter would be placed on the next agenda.

6. To consider Highways and Footpath Matters:
The Clerk reported on the following :-
Hedge between Priory and Maze (CRF3) – This had now been cut.
Reflector posts in Britons Lane adjacent to Heathside – The Clerk had been informed by NCC Highways that some of these would be put back.
These items were noted by members.

7. Meetings & Conferences (to receive reports and announcements):
The following information/invitations had been received :-
Cromer Hospital – meeting re future plans – Cromer 15/10 – MR, DT,GD to attend.
Nfk RCC – meeting re changes to articles of association – Dereham 3/11 – noted.
NALC – Coffee/Chat afternoon – Roughton 12/11 (2-4pm) – members to attend.
Nfk.RCC – Charity Workshop – Poringland 28/10 – noted.
NALC – Gypsy/Traveller Conference – New Costessey 4/11 – RB to attend.
NNDC Parish/Town Council Forum – Cromer 11/11 – 4/5 members to attend

8. PC Assets: to consider reports:
No reports to consider.

9a. To consider ongoing maintenance of Beeston Common:
An invitation to join members of Sheringham Town Council and Natural England representatives had been received. MK, DT and the Clerk met with them on 8th Oct.
Discussions for future funding and the maintenance of the common whilst walking round it took place. This was mainly for STC members but the parish councils concerns regarding the ditch/boundary on the eastern side of the common (forming the PCs western boundary) were explained to all present. MK said that the common is fairly accessible now because of the recent weather conditions. MK was also questioned on several matters of concern by a parishioner who lived next to the northern end of the ditch. He also informed members that he thought we needed to involve K.Rands (NCC Highways Engineer) regarding the bank/path at the northern end and possibly AWA if Sheringham TC had not already contacted them regarding clearing the actual ditch. The Clerk was instructed to follow these matters up.

9b. To consider Pillbox in Britons Lane:
No further news from English Heritage since the last update. This was noted by members.

9f. To consider car parking during Sunday Car Boot Sales:
The Clerk reported, that following publication of the article in the newsletter, that two parishioners had written about the problems associated with car boot sale parking. The Clerk was instructed to send copies to the police (Sgt.D.Money) and circulate the letter and e-mail to members for consideration.

10. Quality Parish Status:
(a) To receive update on QPS:
The Clerk informed members that the file containing the portfolio applying for QPS would be submitted to Sarita Presland at NALC during the first half of next month.

11. To receive reports from District & County Councillors:
Both councillors had sent apologies and therefore the Chairman moved on.

12. To consider Sect.17, Crime & Disorder Act (incl.Police Report):
PCSO. D.Sewell had also apologised and had submitted a written report. The Clerk was instructed to circulate this to members along with the Safer Neighbourhood Teams newsletter which was received recently. There being no other matters to discuss concerning crime the Chair moved on.

13. To receive Correspondence (not included in agenda items above):
The following had been received :-
NALC – leaflet re grants for parish councils.
Booklet from Norfolk Older Peoples Strategy.
NALCs 2008/09 Annual Report.
E-mail from B.Hannah (NCC) re parking on the Britons Lane car park.
NNDC Outlook magazine
NCC Your Norfolk magazine
NNDC Agenda and Minutes
Letter from Nfk Lowland Search & Rescue requesting financial help (to APM 2010).
NCC Norfolk Matters magazine
Norfolk RCC information and leaflets.
All the above would be circulated to members as usual.

14. Resolution re Public Participation (comments/other matters):
Prop: BH, Sec: DT – agreed, meeting adjourned – no comments – meeting re-opened.

15. To confirm date of next meeting – future agenda items:
This was confirmed for Wed. 4/11/09 (7pm) – BH requested that the purchase of the Remembrance Day wreath be placed on the next agenda. The Clerk reminded members that a representative would be giving a talk on the Upcher Community Partnership and the Budget/Precept would also be on the agenda along with two new consultations (Nfk.Mineral/Waste sites and E.England housing & economic growth to 2031)

This entry was posted in 2009, Council Matters, Minutes. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *