Model Publication Scheme
This model publication scheme has been prepared and approved by the Information
Commissioner. It may be adopted without modification by any public authority without
further approval and will be valid until further notice.
This publication scheme commits an authority to make information available to the public
as part of its normal business activities. The information covered is included in the classes
of information mentioned below, where this information is held by the authority.
Additional assistance is provided to the definition of these classes in sector specific guidance
manuals issued by the Information Commissioner
The scheme commits an authority:
- To proactively publish or otherwise make available as a matter of routine, information,
including environmental information, which is held by the authority and falls within the classifications
- To specify the information which is held by the authority and falls within the classifications below.
- To proactively publish or otherwise make available as a matter of routine, information in line with the statements contained within this scheme.
- To produce and publish the methods by which the specific information is made routinely available
so that it can be easily identified and accessed by members of the public.
- To review and update on a regular basis the information the authority makes available under this scheme.
- To produce a schedule of any fees charged for access to information which is made proactively available
- To make this publication scheme available to the public.
- To publish any dataset held by the authority that has been requested, and any updated versions it holds, unless the authority is satisfied that it is not appropriate to do so; to publish the dataset, where reasonably practicable, in an electronic form that is capable of re-use; and, if any information in the dataset is a relevant copyright work and the public authority is the only owner, to make the information
available for re-use under the terms of the Re-use of Public Sector Information Regulations 2015, if they apply, and otherwise under the terms of the Freedom of Information Act section 19.
The term ‘dataset’ is defined in section 11(5) of the Freedom of Information Act.
The term ‘relevant copyright work’ is defined in section 19(8) of that Act.